In the unfortunate event that a person has passed away, there are three things that must be done in the first few days:
- Get a medical certificate from your GP or hospital doctor (this is necessary to register the death)
- Register the death within 5 days. You will then receive the necessary documents for the funeral.
- Make the necessary funeral arrangements.
Register the death
If the death has been reported to the coroner they must give permission before registering the death.
You can register the death if you are a relative, a witness to the death, a hospital administrator or the person making the arrangements with the funeral directors.
You can use the ‘Register a Death’ page on the gov.uk website that will guide you through the process.
Arrange the funeral
The funeral can usually only take place after the death is registered. Most people use a funeral director, although you can arrange a funeral yourself.
Choose a funeral director who is a member of one of the following:
These organisations have codes of practice - they must give you a price list when asked.
Some local councils run their own funeral services, for example for non-religious burials. The British Humanist Association can also help with non-religious funerals.
Arranging the funeral yourself
Contact the Cemeteries and Crematorium Department of your local council to arrange a funeral yourself.
Funeral costs can include:
- funeral director fees
- costs that the funeral director pays for on your behalf (called ‘disbursements’ or ‘third-party costs’); for example, crematorium or cemetery fees, or a newspaper announcement about the death
- local authority burial or cremation fees
Funeral directors may list all these costs in their quotes.
You may be able to get help with funeral costs - please see website for details: https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments
The Greater Manchester Bereavement Service provides support to anyone within Greater Manchester, bereaved or affected by a death. No one needs to feel alone as they deal with their grief.
The Service is available on 0161 983 0902 for support.
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (except bank holidays)
Wednesday, 9am to 8pm
Please visit the website for more information - https://greater-manchester-bereavement-service.org.uk/